[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: Redundant web pages

> > If one wants to provide a web page that is always available,
> > what mechanisms are available to create this redundant capability?
> > I know about round-robin DNS that gives a new address from a pool
> > of servers, but caching the answer means a client won't ask for a
> > new address for hours (so for them, the page is down).  What other
> > means of having a redundant web page are there?  Thanks for any
> > suggestions.

Well, one approach, though probably pretty inneficient would be to have a
single web server as your point of entrance... ie. www.mydomain.com, have
that server do NOTHING but redirect requests...

Basically, every request to the http://www.mydomain.com gets redirected to
another server, i.e. www-rotate-1.mydomain.com.  This way, the primary
point of failure is only handling easy requests.

The redirection server could be dynamically reconfigured based on the
responsiveness of the data serving hosts (www-rotate-*.mydomain.com), and
could even do a sort of load balancing to compensate for different speed
servers.

For added stability, you could apply any of the usual redundancy schemes to
the redirection host.

-- Nathan

Nathan Neulinger                  Univ. of Missouri - Rolla
EMail: nneul@umr.edu                  Computing Services
WWW: http://www.umr.edu/~nneul      SysAdmin: rollanet.org